Sunday, March 1, 2009

ACTING FROM TRUTH

Notice how people around you don't really listen. They interrupt, they have very little attention span, they are on their cell phones texting while they talk to you. Way too much multi-tasking
to be in the moment. Because of this, few people are calm, and living in the moment.

As an actor, you have to listen on order to see truth in your performance. Once you listen to the other actor in the scene, you then have to process and think about what he or she said, and then respond. All this might take a millisecond, or several seconds, but it's what you need to do to deliver a vivid performance.

When your interacting with your friends or family in the next few days, pay attention to who is listening to you, and see how carefully you listen to them.

Different thoughts race through your mind, while someone talks to you. It's mostly subconscious thoughts like, "my back is sore, or I'm hungry, or I did not get enough sleep last night, or I need to put gas in the car, or I'm bored." More often than not it's visual pictures, and images moving rapidly across your brain.

This is what you need to replicate when you deliver a truthful performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment